Study how to install a Board and Batten wall. We’re in this article to support you do it yourself with experienced-looking outcomes!
Appear see how to build the vibrant yellow Swedish Mora Clock and the Dutch Barn Door / Toddler Gate, much too!
Diy Board and Batten Wall Tutorial
Products for Installing a Board and Batten Wall:
- Boards for Foundation Molding: We selected 1×8 MDF
- Boards for Crown Molding: We opted for a straightforward alternatively than ornate glimpse and selected 1×4 MDF. We ran 1 on the wall and 1 on the ceiling to make a wrapped-corner glimpse.
- Battens (vertical boards): In the previous we have used 1×4 or 1×2’s that are the identical thickness as the upper and reduce molding, but this time I desired the battens to be compact and insignificant to make a light texture. At our neighborhood House Depot they experienced some three three/4″ x 1/4″ thick unpainted MDF strips identified as MDF Bender boards. They were in the lumber isle near the plywood and NOT with the moldings. They were a terrific price tag and just huge ample to be ripped (slice size-sensible) in 50 percent to make the subtle glimpse I was going for.
- Desk Noticed
- Nail gun and nails
- Caulk and Hole Patching Compound
Be confident to check out this tutorial for fantastic board and batten spacing!
Board and Batten Stage 1: Install Foundation Molding
Measure, slice, and install the base molding.
The stair used to be wrapped with carpet, but we desired to prevent that and clear up the glimpse. We created out the stair a little bit and then wrapped it with the MDF. We acquired fortunate and the MDF was the precise identical height as the stair!
Board and Batten Stage two: Install Crown Molding
Measure and slice your crown molding parts. Working with the ceiling piece as a spacer, force the wall piece up to the ceiling piece (you will will need a helper to do this, which is why we did not get any pics) and nail in spot.
Next install your ceiling piece.
*Idea* We did not have joists to nail the crown molding to on this part of the ceiling. You can use anchor bolts for a Large amount of further get the job done or you can do what we did: to continue to keep the board in spot, set in two nails at a 45 diploma angle to the appropriate and then immediately flip your nailer the other course and incorporate two far more in a 45 diploma angle to the still left. The “v” made by the nails acts like an anchor. I wouldn’t do this with heavy beams, but for a light-weight molding, it is effective effectively.
Board and Batten Stage three: Rip the Battens (if wanted)
Our battens wanted ripped in 50 percent, remember.
And for the reason that we slice ours, we took the time to sand down the leading two edges of the board to guarantee that the edges were clear and that all imperfections were sanded down.
*Idea* Slice edges of MDF constantly will need sanding. Because MDF is so smooth, the imperfections will be really apparent after you paint. Do not skip sanding!
Board and Batten Stage four: Install the Battens
Be confident to make your spacing fantastic. Observe this board and batten spacing tutorial and you will conclusion up with the experienced-looking outcomes you want!
1. Mark out the spacing.
two. Measure the height you will will need for that batten in that spot. Slice your batten. (Do this for each and every batten, as ceilings and flooring are not as stage as you think!)
three. Spot the bottom of the batten at your spacing mark and nail after near the bottom of the board to maintain it in spot in accordance to your spacing mark.
four. Spot a stage on the aspect of the batten board and regulate the board right up until it is beautifully vertical.
5. Nail after near the leading then safe it to the wall with a number of far more nails in the middle.
6. Repeat the approach with each and every batten.
Board and Batten Stage 5: Patch the nail holes and caulk all the seams
Patch the nail holes and caulk involving the boards and the wall to fill the gaps.
Board and Batten Stage 6: Paint
We selected Sherwin Williams Large Reflective White, and, oh, the change the paint makes! Make confident to examine your paint job from the still left and appropriate to guarantee each inch of the battens is included in paint. It’s quick to pass up the slim aspect up coming to the wall!
For portray the molding up coming to the ground, I used heavyweight scrapbook paper as a “drop cloth” of types. It moved together simply and slid under the hole of the base molding beautifully with no taping necessary!
And we’re performed! See how the battens just type of melt into the wall? They present a slight texture and pattern but they are not the focal position — particularly the subtlety we desired!
If you’d like to see far more of our projects at the Canyon House, look through through them in this article and abide by us on Facebook and Instagram for far more inspiration and tutorials.
More Diy wall treatment method tutorials:
This put up originally posted 05.04.2013 // Current 03.06.2020